Sunday, October 3, 2010

A vinyl memory/Mr Noel Mackay

I have searched the internet and somewhere there is a site that can let you download Mr Noel Mackay.
Drag artiste and Cabaret entertainer.
I have searched for any pic to share of this...the memorabilia from my lost childhood..
The album on vinyl held pride of place in my father's collection
Here were ribald songs sung live in cabaret rasp and were always brought out to entertain
on
my father's friday night entertainment.
The child seeing the weekly emptying out of the china cabinet to repeat chorus' of Johnnys Little Yoyo
And yet such was my father's admiration I have a memory of my father dressing for a summer concert
to his extended family of inlaws in my mother's swimsuit...and lip syncing his very best

It was years before this imprint may have had effect.
What was then a citadel of 'closet'New Zealand Homosexuality
The history of Auckland New Zealand.The Great Northern.Also known as the LilyPond.
The Station Hotel.The Dance floor for Cabaret Entertainment.
Venues in which Mr Noel Mackay's star shone brightly.
The El Matador where the gay entertainment abounded admidst late night drinking

To my father.Harmless entertainment.The impersonation to deliver it's ribald intent.
The naughty school boy.
To Gloriousole. An introduction....to a world of theatrical wonder.
It's in the delivery.Glamour can always be manufactured.
In this day and age it usually is.
True talent always has the ability to shine.
It's just hard to maintain with out the publicity
So here's to memory
from the Vinyl collection.......
Mr Noel Mackay
and very special coffees.

No comments:

Post a Comment